Joseph P. Filicetti
Joe Filicetti loves representing good people in bad situations. Whether you are a citizen or a police officer, Joe is here to help you through the difficult legal matters you may be facing. A licensed attorney for over twenty-eight years, Joe knows exactly how to defend your rights and reputation. Our primary objective is give you peace of mind that only compassionate, experienced counsel can provide.
- University of Idaho College of Law, J.D., 1987
- Washington State University, B.A. in Philosophy, 1984
- Northwest Institute for Dispute Resolution, Mediation Certificate, 1999
- Drafted, lobbied and passed Idaho Code § 37-2732B, Idaho’s Drug Trafficking mandatory minimum legislation, during 1992 Legislative Session, as well as over 40 other pieces of legislation during the 1993, 1994, and 1995 Sessions, including Stalking and Felony Eluding
- Contributed to numerous pieces of legislation between 1996 – 1998, including the Non-Use of Public School Tax Credit
- Founded and chaired the Ada County Domestic Violence Work Group, a law enforcement group which addressed domestic violence investigation/prosecution that resulted in changes in investigation and prosecution protocol
- Founded and chaired the Law Enforcement Legislative Council (L.E.L.C.), an organization comprised of law enforcement lobbying entities including the Idaho Attorney General’s Office, Idaho Sheriffs Association, Idaho Prosecuting Attorneys Association, and others
- Tried State v. Meraz, Idaho’s first Drug Trafficking case, with sentence of life with 20 years fixed
- Tried State v. Hyde, a 72-count armed robbery case for the Jehovah’s Witness robbery, with sentence of life with 20 years fixed
- Represented Payette County Deputy Scott Sloan who was criminally charged for felony vehicular manslaughter in a line of duty crash. The case was dismissed after 18 months of litigation, one month prior to jury trial.
- Idaho Fraternal Order of Police State Legal Counsel, 1999-present
- Represented hundreds of law enforcement officers in critical incidents
- Idaho Narcotics Officers’ Association (INOA) Honorary Lifetime Member
- IPAA Bulldog Legislative Effort Award, 1993
- Law Enforcement Legislative Council Award
- Best of the Treasure Valley Reader’s Choice Award, Idaho Statesman, 2014
Search and Seizure, Search Warrant Worksheet, Surviving Critical Incidents (A guide to legal survival in police line-of-duty shootings or fatalities), On Dogs and Katz (An overview of the use of Narcotics Detection Canines), How to Testify, Defenses in Drug Cases, Use of Idaho’s Drug Trafficking Law, Boise Ada Narcotics Drug Interdiction Task Force (B.A.N.D.I.T.) Grant Proposal (1987 and 1990), Domestic Violence Supplemental Form & Training Guide, IPAA Annual Legislative Review (1993, 1994, and 1995), and Editor of IPAA manuals on Grand Jury and Magistrate Inquiry (1988).
POST Academy (Search and Seizure, Moot Court, How to Testify, Arrests, Confessions, Drug Investigations, Conspiracy, Use of Idaho’s Drug Trafficking Law), Fraternal Order of Police and various Idaho Law Enforcement Agencies (Legal Survival for the Law Enforcement Officer), Bureau of Justice Assistance, Idaho Bureau of Narcotics, Idaho Prosecuting Attorneys Association, Ada County Sheriff’s Office, Boise Police Department, Idaho Narcotics Officers Association, B.A.N.D.I.T. Task Force, Top Gun Drug Course, Northwest Association of Gang Investigators, and Clandestine Lab Investigators Association.
- Foundations Academy, Boise’s Classical and Christian School, Co-Founder/Board Member for K-12 school. Chairman of the Board for first 10 years (now The Ambrose School)
- Republican Precinct Committeeman (1988 – 1996, 1998-2002)
- The Boars Club, a philosophical/literary discussion group, Founder (1987-present)
- PAYADA (Parents And Youth Against Drug Abuse), Management Committee (1989-1993)
- Boise Neighborhood Housing, Inc., Board of Directors (1988-1991)
- Capital Youth Soccer Coach (1994-1996)
- Filicetti Law Office, P.A., Boise, ID (1998 – present) Owner and Founder of an Idaho law firm focusing on defense of police in line-of-duty incidents, law enforcement training, personal injury, employment law, and defense of citizens accused of crimes.
- Boise Police Department / Boise City Attorney’s Office, Boise, ID (1996 – 1998) Police Legal Counsel. Prepared and implemented general civil and criminal advice for 220-member police department including policy review, training, risk management, personnel and Public Information Request review.
- Ada County Prosecutor’s Office, Boise, ID (1987 – 1996)
- Chief Deputy, Magistrate Division. (April, 1994 – May, 1996) Managed attorneys, interns and support staff in busy misdemeanor and traffic court division. Conducted all training of new attorneys. Created and instituted policy in area of domestic violence, DUI and DWP prosecution.
- General Felony Attorney (January, 1993 – April, 1994) Handled complex felony caseload from investigation through prosecution.
- B.A.N.D.I.T. (Boise Ada Narcotics Drug Interdiction Task Force) Prosecutor (1989 – 1993) Created B.A.N.D.I.T. Task Force and was first B.A.N.D.I.T. Prosecutor. Prosecuted over 1300 drug cases and drafted hundreds of search warrants.
- General Felony Attorney with emphasis in Repeat Offender Program and Narcotics (February, 1988 – 1989) Directed investigations and prosecutions.
- Magistrate Attorney (May, 1987 – February, 1988) Prosecuted large misdemeanor caseload at the Ada County Magistrate Court.
- Idaho Prosecuting Attorneys Association, Boise, ID (1992 – 1995) Legislative Counsel. Drafted, lobbied and passed numerous pieces of law enforcement legislation during 1992, 1993, 1994, and 1995 Legislative Sessions.
- The Hon. John H. Bengtson, Moscow, ID (1986 – 1987) Law Clerk Prepared legal memoranda, drafted opinions and assisted judge in all phases of busy trial court docket.
- University of Idaho, Moscow, ID (Fall semester, 1986) Teaching Assistant, Criminal Law Developed and graded tests, substitute taught and held office conferences for 90- member undergraduate class.